1 arrest in hit-and-run that injured IL man, son

-A A +A

Two more suspects identified, still at-large

By Hal Millard

One of three suspects in the April hit-and-run of an Indian Land father and son at a south Charlotte shopping center has been arrested on several felony charges, according to authorities.
The two other suspects in the crime that left Wilkie Green, 4, battered and traumatized and his father Nate, 41, seriously injured have been identified, but remained at-large Friday.
According to Charlotte-Mecklenburg police, suspected driver Noah Oliver Llambias, 21, of Charlotte turned himself in June 6 and was transferred to the custody of the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office, which runs the county jail.
Llambias, who was released on bond Friday morning, has been charged with two counts of felony assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury, misdemeanor aiding and abetting larceny, and felony assault with serious bodily injury.
His two suspected cohorts have been identified as Isaiah Ray Staley, 21, of Fort Mill, and Ralph Cornelius Hall, 20.
Staley, who jail records show was arrested for marijuana possession in 2016, is now wanted on a charge of a passenger fleeing accident with injury or death.
Hall faces the same charge, as well as a count of misdemeanor larceny, according to county jail records.
Green’s wife, Amber, who was traveling home from a funeral out of state, told Carolina Gateway by phone on Friday that a police investigator had told her they expect to apprehend the remaining two suspects “very soon.”
In an interview with WSOC-TV on Friday, Nate Green said: “It kind of shocked me when I saw the picture [of Llambias]. I was like, ‘Whoa, that’s him.’ I saw his eyes right before the accident. That vision is what I see every night before I go to sleep and now when I saw it again, I was like ‘wow.’”
Waiting for justice
After 51 days, the arrest comes following a long and tense wait for the family to find justice, though Amber Green said she was extremely grateful for the hard and patient work that has been put in by police to identify and catch the perpetrators.
She also credited patrol deputies with the Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office for helping the family – fearing some sort of retribution against them or their retail food business, Southern Olive, on Charlotte Highway in Indian Land – feel safe in the aftermath of the crime.
“It’s nice to finally have the case solved,” she said, though she admitted she was anxious for the remaining two suspects to be arrested. “Hopefully, they will find them soon.”
But the arrest of the driver, she added, “brought a lot of peace. It was like a complete sigh of relief.”
Her family peace was shattered on April 17, when her husband and son were struck by a late-model, cobalt-gray Volkswagen Passat sedan at the Harris Teeter in Blakeney Village shopping center on Rea Road.
The incident occurred when a suspect – who the family believes was Staley – bolted the grocery store after he allegedly stole a 24-pack of Bud Light and jumped into a waiting getaway car with the driver and one other passenger.
Amber Green said her husband had kindly tried to get the thief’s attention as he emerged from the store, thinking the youth was being followed by store employees because he had left his wallet or something else behind.
However, the thief rebuffed Green’s help and jumped into the car. Green and his son then continued on toward the store entrance when the car barreled toward them suddenly, striking both. Amber Green said her husband believes the motorized assault was intentional.
Green was able to cradle his son as they hit the pavement, but the boy still suffered a deep gash on his head above the right eye that required treatment at Carolinas Medical Center, as well as follow up treatment later after complications arose.
His father took the brunt of the violent hit and suffered a concussion and multiple fractures from the top of his head to the base of his skull.
Though improving and home from the hospital, Green said her husband faces a very long and difficult recovery process.
“He’s getting better every day, mentally and physically,” she said of her husband who, before the incident, had always been athletic and a hearty and fit outdoorsman.
“But he still can’t taste, can’t smell,” she said. “He still has sensitive hearing. He still gets really over-stimulated … which saps his energy and gives him a sharp, stabbing headache. He still has chronic daily headaches, as well as pains in his back.”
Green’s son was traumatized by the event, but has steadily been getting better as time passes, she said, “though he still has a pretty crappy scar.”
“If it’s not every day, it’s every other day where he’s talking about the incident. But it’s not so much an anxious memory anymore,” she said.
As Amber Green handles care-taking at home and at her business, a popular specialty food store, cafe and bakery she and  her husband own in the 8000 block of Charlotte Highway, she awaits an end to this nightmare.
“I’m just really anxious for the other two to get caught,” she said. “But at least the driver that did the most damage to my family, for such a stupid thing, was finally caught. It brought closure.”
But what was utterly disappointing, she added, were the ages of the suspects. To find out that two of the three suspects were of legal drinking age and could have simply bought the case of beer that was stolen leaves her flummoxed, she said.
“It just broke my heart to know they would do something so stupid and then cause so much damage and wreck our lives,” she said. “They could have just gone in and bought the beer.
“It’s just so crazy.”